THE 15-year-old Presentation College, Chaguanas student who was the main suspect in a chopping incident in which his mother’s right hand was severed and she was also chopped to the back of the head, may be released from police custody soon.

Investigators probing the incident, which occurred last Thursday at the family’s home in Waterloo, Carapichaima yesterday approached the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice on how to proceed with the case.

Police sources told Newsday that investigators have little to no evidence, since the victim has not made a statement and has not said anything to the investigators.

Last Thursday, the teenager was at his Butler Village, Carapichaima home with his mother, a nurse.

The two were arguing over his parent’s decision the night before, to take away his cell phone.

The complaint was that the schoolboy was too preoccupied with the cellphone and was being derelict in his school work.

The teenager left the house on a bicycle and was later found at the nearby Waterloo Cremation site in a dazed state, with his school uniform covered in blood.

The mother was found later by her husband, who had returned home, and saw her lying semi-conscious in a pool of blood. Her severed hand was nearby on the floor. It was the husband who contacted the police, saying he had found his wife bleeding from injuries.

The teenager was then taken to Brasso Police Station, where minors who commit serious crimes are held before being taken to a family court.

His mother was taken to the San Fernando Hospital where during a ten-hour surgery, her hand was reattached at the wrist. A bloodstained cutlass, belonging to the boy’s father, was later seized by police.

A legal aid lawyer was sourced by the family to represent the schoolboy’s interest and on Monday, in the lawyer’s presence, investigating officers began to question him on the chopping incident.

To every question asked by the investigating officer, the boy said: “no comment, sir.” Police were therefore unable to record a statement from him.

When contacted for comment after the boy was interviewed by police, his father pointed out that there are no witnesses to the chopping incident and that he is standing by his son.

Police later went to the General Hospital and approached the mother, asking that she give a statement. The woman refused, saying she had to speak to her husband. Up to press time, she still maintained her silence.

Police sources last night told Newsday that since only the woman and her son were in the house at the time of the incident and neither have given any information, they do not have sufficient evidence to lay a charge. Up to press time, the police were still awaiting a response from the DPP.



More in this section