Information on football fraud, in which the Fyzabad Secondary School is embroiled, has been sent to Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard SC for instructions.
Fraud Squad officers confirmed files were sent to Gaspard to determine how they should proceed. A source told Newsday one of the school’s players has agreed to testify on behalf of the State if instructions are given for charges to be laid.
On Monday, Fraud Squad officers, including an IT specialist, went to the Siparia Road, Fyzabad school, where they spent approximately five hours. The team, headed by Sen Supt Totaram Dookhie and Insp Kent Ghisiyawan, included Sgts Earl Smith, Damien Thomas and PC Jointe.
Members of staff were interrogated, and offices and computers were searched. After school was dismissed, principal Troy Jebodhsingh and sports manager Nigel Lackhan were seen leaving the school with the police.
Investigations were triggered when schools involved in the premier division of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) questioned the qualifications of two players on the Fyzo Tigers Team. It was revealed that the academic qualifications for the two players to gain admission into Lower Six had been allegedly falsified.
The team was subsequently suspended from the premier league and Jebodhsingh also pulled them from all other competitions until internal and external investigations are concluded.
Sources say the students will not face prosecution, and the school is not the only school involved, but the only one caught.
Officials at the level of the Ministry of Education are also under suspicion for allegedly conspiring to doctor documents. In a telephone interview on October 27, Education Minister Anthony Garcia said it was an embarrassing situation for his ministry when people fail to act in accordance with the principles set out. He assured harsh punishment for any member of the ministry’s team found in any breach of the law.