Minister in the Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs, Stuart Young, yesterday dismissed claims from Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal about fake text messages.
On Monday, Moonilal claimed there were fabricated text messages in legal documents which Young referred to at a news conference earlier that day. Young said legal action was taken against five contractors in relation to alleged bid-rigging and cartel-like behaviour in relation to the award of 10 contracts worth $200 million.
Speaking with reporters at Tower D of the Port-of-Spain International Waterfront Centre, Young said, “ You can expect the best and most professional work to be coming out of the Office of the Attorney General.” He continued, “We have been utilising the best in class, international and local forensic personnel, investigators and attorneys at law.”
While Moonilal is entitled to his opinion, Young said, “I have absolutely no hesitation whatsover in the matter proceeding to court and the proper evidential hurdles being crossed at the appropriate time when the case is tried in court.”
He reiterated, “This is work which has been going on for 18 to 20 months.” Young said it is some of the best work to go to TT’s courts and, “we await the outcome of the matter.” Young said contrary to any allegation by Moonilal or the Opposition, the timing of this legal action being filed was not a distraction. “I don’t see the Government being in any trouble whatsoever.”
He also reiterated, “Action will be commenced against Dr Moonilal and others. That remains the plan.” Young said he saw nothing wrong with Planning Minister Camille Robinson-Regis reading a search warrant in Parliament last week.
He supported Robinson-Regis’ statement that Moonilal spoke about the warrant at a UNC public meeting, the warrant was posted on social media and featured in a TV6 news report. Robinson-Regis told reporters she was not worried about Moonilal’s threat to file a complaint against her with the Police Complaints Authority (PCA).