International Soca Monarch cancelled
THERE will be no International Soca Monarch this year.
Geoffrey Wharton-Lake, one of the event’s directors, confirmed this on Friday evening.
He did not go into further detail as to why. However, he said the organisers will meet with stakeholders after the Carnival period to discuss a way forward.
This comes after Wharton-Lake previously said the event would be held, on the usual Carnival Friday.
Questions were raised about the event taking place after soca star Machel Montano announced plans to host his Machel 40-One Show that day.
Several events are usually held on Carnival Friday, but for two decades, the International Soca Monarch competition was the marquee event on Carnival Friday.
"International Soca Monarch cancelled"