ATTORNEY General Faris Al-Rawi says he "cannot complain" about the Prime Minister expressing disappointment in him for not strictly observing public health measures when he appeared on a game show. Al-Rawi compared his action to "sitting in a restaurant" but said he will continue trying to do the best he can.
On Thursday night, Al-Rawi attended the season two finale of a live game show series called Vibes with Voicey (Aaron St Louis) at the artiste’s home studio. It is usually streamed live on Instagram at 9.30 pm each Thursday. The participants included Supt Roger Alexander of the North Eastern Division, a co-host of the Beyond the Tape police programme, radio personality Ancil "Blaze" Isaac and "celebrity bodyguard'"Kevin Da Costa, known as Johnny Bravo.
He and a handful of some other known public figures were in a room in which they played games and competed in challenges including arm wrestling. The competitors’ hands were sanitised before the challenges but none of them were wearing masks or practising physical distancing at all times.
Asked what he thought about Al-Rawi’s attendance during a press conference on Saturday, Dr Rowley said it was “disappointing.
“Because as I said earlier on today, I expect everyone with a leadership position in this country to demonstrate that wherever you are or whenever you are out.
“I’m not giving any passes to anybody," he said.
Speaking with Newsday on Saturday afternoon, Al-Rawi said there were only eight people in the room, it was a private event and people were required to wash or sanitise their hands before entry.
But despite all of this, he said he makes “no complaints” about Rowley’s comments and supports the statements he made.
“It was no different from sitting down in a restaurant and having a conversation. But all that is really irrelevant, right? It can be taken out of context and it has been…I could give you all the rationale and reasons as to why that was done, but it’s irrelevant. I fully support the Prime Minister’s call.”
He said it was a charitable event as money was donated based on the viewership.
In a Facebook post, he said, “I’m thankful to have stepped away from the suit and tie, sat back and supported charitable games with some very special people.
“Shout out to Supt Alexander, Blaze, Johnny Bravo, Voice and Penny for creating a home studio and finding innovative ways to have clean inspirational VIBEZ in these unprecedented times. The six of us had a fantastic time but ‘The Men In Black’ reigned supreme. Better luck next time, boys!"
Al-Rawi also told Newsday the camera angles were “fairly tight,” but he understands how it “appeared to have looked.”
“There’s no splitting hairs over this…People in public life will be under a lens and I accept that because that is what I signed up for. So,I support the Prime Minister’s call. I accept that.”
Newsday tried contacting Voice’s management for comment but all calls went unanswered.