Private autopsy: Bharatt murder accused beaten before dying

Andrew "Solo" Morris

THE private autopsy on 35-year-old Andrew “Solo” Morris, one of two now dead suspects in the kidnapping and murder of Andrea Bharatt, said he died from blunt force trauma, which made  his lungs collapse.

The second autopsy was done on Tuesday, by pathologist Prof Hubert Daisley at the Simpsons Chapel, Couva, the day after the first, which was done at the Forensic Sciences Centre. Daisley also did a second autopsy on Bharatt on Tuesday and ruled she died from a fractured skull, while the first report was inconclusive.

According to the family’s attorney, Nestor Dinnoo-Alloy, the pathologist said Morris suffered trauma to the skull and chest with a blunt object. He also had bilateral rib fractures which made his lungs collapse, and  haemorrhaging of the brain.

“There were no marks of resistance on the body,” Dinnoo, who was present during the autopsy, told Newsday.

He added that the pathologist questioned the police version of events, given the severity of the injuries and said Morris might not have been conscious when he was taken to the Arima Health Facility on January 31.

According to the post-mortem done on Monday at the Forensic Sciences Centre, Morris’s death was listed as impact trauma to the upper body.

A report from the Arima Hospital where Morris died labelled his death “unnatural.” The report listed him as an "assault victim."

The referral-for-autopsy report from the Arima Health Facility said Morris complained of being assaulted. Under "recent complaints" it read: “Assault victim, head chest and back. Blunt trauma, acute kidney injury. Since assault became presyncope and chest pain.”

On the heading “Provisional assessment of death” the author ticked "unnatural," with the clinical diagnosis reading: “Cardiopulmonary arrest. Acute kidney injury and rhabdomyolysis.

“Multiple bruises seen on chest, back and face. Alert, oriented, however, complained of persistent chest discomfort. No respiratory distress. Loss of consciousness, query oriented on review. Chest x-ray (showed) no rib fracture, no haemothorax (blood between the chest wall and lungs) or pneumothorax (air collecting between the chest wall and lungs). Renal function test identified. Creatine 3.3- acute kidney injury,” the summary read.

This was supported by the second autopsy.

Police claimed that Morris, after being arrested at his Tumpuna Road, Arima, had to be subdued because he was behaving violently

It was during this alleged struggle that Morris supposedly fell but refused medical attention when offered. He was diabetic and hypertensive but reportedly refused food and was later taken to the health facility around 10 pm.

While at the hospital Morris fell a second time, police said, this time off a chair. His third fall happened when he went to give a urine sample. He was pronounced dead around 12.45 am on Monday.

His family were told of his death two days later.

Morris was the first to die in police custody. He and longtime friend Devon Charles were held hours apart. Charles died on February 8 after being in a coma at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for at least six days. Police said he too had to be subdued after trying to escape.

Both men were suspects in the kidnapping of Bharatt, who was taken after boarding a “taxi” at King Street on January 29. On February 4 her body was found down a precipice at the Heights of Aripo.


"Private autopsy: Bharatt murder accused beaten before dying"

More in this section