A Gasparillo couple is now homeless after a fire destroyed their home on Sunday night.
The couple’s pet dog and her five puppies were killed in the fire.
A police report said the fire started in the back of the one-room wooden house at Parforce Extension at about 11.30 pm
Anselm Sampson and his common-law wife Narrisa Guervero were inside and their dogs were in the front yard.
A neighbour said he was alerted when he smelt burning wood.
"I looked out the window and saw the house on fire."
He said he ran to help, but by the time he arrived the house was already up in flames.
“The house was made of wood, so the fire spread really fast. And when I reached in front of the house I saw the couple running out. I was so happy they were okay, but it was sad to hear about the dogs."
The house was not wired for electricity. Investigators said a lit petrol lamp to the back of the house near a curtain started the fire.
The couple had been living at the house for over ten years. They are now temporarily staying with someone else in Gasparillo.
Councillor for the area Jenna Lee Ramoutar-Ramsaroop was expected to visit the couple on Monday evening.