THE day after police raided his home and seized $6.4 million, Kerron Clarke, the founder and administrator of the Drugs Sou-Sou (DSS) scheme, is asking if he is being used as a scapegoat.
In an Instagram live post on Wednesday afternoon, Clarke said Police Commissioner Gary Griffith told him the reason his La Horquetta home was raided twice was to root out rogue police officers who invested in his business with supposedly ill-gotten gains.
"The police are now looking away from officers who stole money and pushed it in their uniform and are less interested in rogue cops and more interested in me (my)self. Am I being a scapegoat for a bigger interest at play?"
In an interview with Guardian Media on Wednesday, Griffith, who is out of the country, reportedly said he had earlier met with Clarke.
Clarke, who is followed by 20,000 people on Instagram, including Finance Minister Colm Imbert, soca stars Bunji Garlin, Nessa Preppy and Voice the Artiste, told some 3,000 people viewing him that he was told his business was not illegal and he was not going anywhere.
"I thank you for listening, I am going nowhere," he declared. "I have not seek no asylum anywhere (sic). My life has been deliberately placed in danger but I am staying right here to fight for what is right and for what I believe is justice."
He said he will update the country and is being advised by his legal team, led by Sophia Chote, SC. He ended the live broadcastt by saying "Great is the DSS! Thank you."
On September 22, police raided Clarke's Kathleen Warner Drive home and confiscated $22 million in cash, which was later returned to him, much to the annoyance of Griffith, who suspended and transferred officers out of the Northern Division as a result.
Since then the Prime Minister has described DSS as a threat to national security, resulting in police officers from Barbados and the UK being imported to investigate any suspected wrongdoing by Clarke and others. Foreign police officers were among those who raided the house on Tuesday.