THE Education Ministry on Saturday told parents and guardians who requested transfers for children who sat the Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA) exam that approximately 4,000 requests are made annually after the exam.
The ministry, in a statement, gave a reminder that classes are scheduled to begin on October 19 for new form one students and they "are expected to participate in remote learning at their assigned schools until feedback is provided on requests for transfers."
The ministry said there had been an increase in the number of students registering for SEA and "only students awaiting transfer results will not be required to purchase uniforms and books of the assigned school."
A total of 19, 344 students wrote the exam on August 20, ten days after the general election, and results were issued on October 8.
The ministry issued the statement in light of the level of uncertainty faced by parents and guardians as they await a response to transfer requests for their children as the new term opens on Monday.
In its statement, the ministry advised them of other factors affecting transfer requests, including the availability of spaces in requested schools; the review of students' SEA scores by CXC; student performance; and the fact that a requested transfer is not guaranteed.
The ministry said feedback on transfer requests will start on November 23 and be available at respective education district offices.