Acting county medical officer of health Dr Tiffany Hoyte said the backlog of covid19 tests in Tobago has been cleared. However, patients have not yet received their results as the reports have not been compiled as yet.
Hoyte was speaking on Tuesday at a virtual press conference held on Tuesday by the Division of Health, Wellness and Family Development,
Hoyte said, "With respect to the backlog of tests, while the samples would have been tested, we're still awaiting the reports so we can distriubute to persons. My understanding is the backlog has been cleared but the reporting part is what we are working out right now."
Last month Secretary of Health Tracy Davidson-Celestine said there were challenges dealing with a backlog of around 127 covid19 tests. On August 24 principal medical officer Dr Naresh Nandram advised Tobago to send the tests to Trinidad to help clear the backlog.
Addressing the demographics of covid19 cases in Tobago, Hoyte said, "Our cases have been as young as three years old and we have a number of elderly persons. We've had very young and very old."
Responding to a question about the number of health workers who've contracted covid19 in Tobago, Acting Medical Chief of Staff, Scarborough General Hospital, Dr Victor Wheeler said, "So far my record show only one medical personnel who contracted covid19 and was provided with assistance form our mental health department, as we provide all health care workers who have been exposed or have been at home and quarantined and might need this assistance."
As of Tuesday, Tobago had 58 cases of covid19, with one new patient testing positive on Monday. The island currently has 16 active cases.
Hoyte said since on-site testing began on July 19, Tobago has submitted 1,049 samples for testing.
There are ten patients at treatment facilities, one person in ICU and five patients at a step-down facility. Forty-two people have been discharged. Tobago has had one covid19 death.