After dealing with the sudden death in 2014 of Marcus Lawrence, relatives said they have been praying nonstop for a miracle in the hope that his 51-year-old mother regains consciousness.
Up to Wednesday, Marlene Nelson remained unresponsive at the intensive care unit of the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH).
Nelson, who works as a chef at Zaza Steakhouse and Grill at the Southern Main Road in La Romaine, was burned in an explosion on Tuesday in the kitchen of the business. No one else was injured.
Her sister Charmaine Nelson-Bernard told Newsday, "Our family is thankful for all the prayers from the public for her recovery. Prayers have no distance.
"To everyone who have been offering words of comfort and prayers, keep them coming. Prayer is the key."
In July 2014, Nelson’s son, 20, collapsed while playing football at Skinner Park in San Fernando. A budding footballer and a member of Club Sando, he was taken to SFGH, where he died. An autopsy said Lawrence had a heart attack.
Nelson, a single mother, has two other children, 19 and 21.
At the family’s home at La Romaine, Nelson’s 70-year-old mother Rosabell Nelson-Brown seemed in a daze as she sat next to her daugher.
Nelson-Bernard said, "Mum keeps crying. Her blood pressure and sugar levels are high.
"Marlene is the first of her five children.
"We did not sleep last night. Whole night we were praying for a miracle. No one is coping well. I am trying to be strong."
Reports are the explosion happened shortly at around 6 am on Tuesday. It is believed to have been caused by a gas leak.
Since then Nelson has been unconscious.
"Her prognosis has not changed. She is still critical. Her body has over 40 per cent burns.
"She normally goes to work early to prepare. She has always been committed to her work and children," Nelson- Bernard said as her mother nodded in agreement.
As on Tuesday, the business remained closed for the day on Wednesday.
Officers of the Mon Repos Fire Station and Southern Division police are investigating.