A chef is fighting for her life at the San Fernando General Hospital after an explosion at her workplace early Tuesday morning.
Marlene Nelson, 51, of La Romaine, was in a critical condition at the intensive care unit up to Tuesday evening.
Nelson, the mother of two, has been unconscious since the accident.
Police said it happened shortly at around 6 am at Zaza Steakhouse and Grill at the Southern Main Road near Bamboo Junction at La Romaine. Part of the kitchen area was damaged in the explosion, which is believed to have been caused by a gas leak.
The business was closed for the day.
Her sister Charmaine Nelson-Bernard told Newsday, “Doctors told us to prepare ourselves for anything. It is not good. The family is not doing well right now I am trying to stay strong for everyone. It is hard, really hard on us.
“We got a call from someone who said she got ‘a little’ burn. When we reached the hospital, we saw her face, foot and arms with burns. Over 40 per cent of her body was burnt.”
Officers of the Mon Repos Fire Station and Southern Division police visited the restaurant. Investigations continue.