THE EDITOR: The hot topic these days with SEA results out is prestige schools.
In the 60's and 70's after attending secondary school one entered the world of work. There was no Westmoorings or Gulf View existing at the time.
I wrote the SEA barefoot. There was no KFC or Tony Roma's after the exam. When results were released there was no trip to Miami.
Going to secondary school meant wearing leather shoes and a tie. Some people who attended or did not get into prestige schools are quick to degrade them.
I humbly beg to differ.
What is a prestige school in TT?
In the Rampersad Plan, a prestige school is an independent, non-denominational school that offers an enriched education that nutures critical thinking, character building and leadership development.
You might want to read that definition again.
After attending a prestige school:
• It is easier to get interviews and job offers at big prestigious companies.
• Established companies offer more favourable starting positions and higher salaries.
• Individuals at big companies have a better initial impression of you even if they have not seen your work.
• It is easier to get involved in a more promising start up company.
• It is easier to be admitted to other schools.
All who are against prestige schools should let their children attend so-called normal schools.
Jealousy is a little green monster.
My daughter is a medical doctor. I am a prestige parent. Let us all aspire to be prestige parents.
That is the case for the defense.
AV RAMPERSAD, PRINCES TOWN