N Touch
Friday 24 May 2019
follow us
News

Garcia: School security reviewed after ice-pick attack

Anthony Garcia
Anthony Garcia

EDUCATION Minister Anthony Garcia says the ministry has reviewed entry and security protocols at the St Pius Boys' RC School in Arouca after an ice-pick attack on a female teacher.

He was responding to an urgent question in the House yesterday from Naparima MP Rodney Charles on what was being done to upgrade the skills of security personnel at schools. 'Garcia began his response with brief details of the attack.

"An individual known to one of the teachers was allowed access to the school compound and attacked a teacher. The Ministry of Education considers the attack a grave assault on the education system."

The incident occurred on Monday afternoon and the perpetrator remained on the run. The teacher has been hospitalised and under police guard since then.

Garcia said yesterday the ministry does have an entry protocol system and is investigating why it was not followed. He said in the interim specific recommendations have been made for St Pius Boys', including mandatory interrogation and security escorts for all visitors. He reported the ministry is holding discussions with the security provider in question, MTS, to review the training of all officers.

Garcia said Student Support Services personnel and the Employee Assistance Programme have been made available to students and staff respectively.

Today's Most Popular
Comments

Reply to "Garcia: School security reviewed after ice-pick attack"

News