THE EDITOR: If the Government is serious about improving public transport to benefit all citizens, then it must amend the Public Transport Service Act to provide for the following:
* Two separate ministries from the current one.
* A change from PTSC to National Transit Authority (NTA).
* New ministry to offer route taxi service, bus service, water taxi service, pleasure or leisure bus service.
* Replacement of all route colour-coded bands on maxis with new logo and colours.
* Re-registration of owners of maxis and taxis as official NTA providers.
* Removal of purchase taxes and rights regime from the licensing structure.
* Development of new insurance policies for all authorised providers.
* Development of new routes, schedules and fare structure.
* Standardised seating capacity for all types and makes of vehicles used by the NTA with comfort being the hallmark of travel.
* Consideration of 24-hour services throughout all established routes competing directly with PH drivers.
* Development of parameters of risk associated with PH usage.
* Involvement in the party bus business.
LANCELOT SARJEANT via e-mail