The Venezuelan woman who, along with 32-year-old Marco Antonio Diaz Gonzales, was allegedly involved in a car chase and a shooting three Wednesdays ago, has been charged with possession of a firearm and ammunition.
Monika Jerez-Gonzalez, 20, appeared before Port of Spain Magistrate Rehanna Hosein in the 4B court yesterday, charged with possession of a .38 Smith and Wesson pistol and ammunition. She was granted bail in the sum of $40,000 and will return to court on May 2.
At her court appearance yesterday, Jerez-Gonzalez wore tbandages on her face. According to reports, just before midnight on March 21, Western Division Crime Patrol Unit and the Port of Spain CID set up a roadblock between Woodbrook and St James, trying to stop a black Toyota Yaris heading west. Police said at St Lucien Road, Diego Martin, the driver began shooting at them and they shot back. Afterwards, the driver was found with multiple gunshot wounds.
The woman, who was in the front passenger seat, had been shot once in the face. Investigators said they found money strapped to her chest. Diaz Gonzales, a 32-year-old father of two, was in the country working for an import/export business, president and founder of the Latin Association of TT, David Edgehill told Newsday. An autopsy confirmed Diaz Gonzales died from multiple gunshot wounds.