MINISTER of Public Administration Maxie Cuffie, who is recovering in the United States from what is thought to have been his second stroke, needs another surgical operation and possibly may have to pay for it himself, said Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister Stuart Young.
He was speaking at yesterday’s post-Cabinet news briefing at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s.
“I have been in contact directly with Minister Cuffie’s wife and he does require additional surgery. There is some surgery that needs to be performed that is the normal part of what is required.”
Young said the Government had set a ceiling on the sum of money it was prepared to pay for treatment, but was not sure where the costs so far have reached relative to this ceiling. “A request has been made,” he confirmed.
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley recently told the House of Representatives that the Government has so far spent $2.5 million on Cuffie’s treatment, including hospitalisation costs locally and overseas, and the cost of an air ambulance. Cuffie fell ill on September 5, with what is believed to have been his second stroke, after suffering one in 2012.