Just In
Beetham residents explode Presbyterian board concerned over Hillview break-in Navas moved to St Helena apartment Judge awards family $1M for collapsed house Nikoli: Allow pupils cellphones, sex education
follow us
N Touch
Friday 24 November 2017
Local

Primary school fight footage an old video

Education Minister Anthony Garcia yesterday said an investigation into a video being circulated on social media of a fight at the Bethlehem Girls’ RC School revealed the footage is more than a year old.

The ministry said in a press release the video was first circulated in June last year and has been a cause for concern.

The five students who were involved in the incident have all moved on to secondary level and their performance and discipline are being monitored to prevent any repeat of the behaviour displayed in the video.

“The students seen in the video were all post-SEA students who were on the compound for a pan group rehearsal. Once the incident was reported to the school’s principal, and subsequently school supervision, immediate action was taken.” The ministry said the parents of all the students involved were called in to meet the principal.

“Following this, a mandatory intervention session was organised with the Citizens Security Programme where 15 students participated and were addressed on the topic of indiscipline, followed by a visit to the school by a psychologist and a reformed ex-convict who is now a pastor, to guide the girls on being conscious of the paths they choose,” the ministry said.

Further intervention was done through Child Line which visited the school and conducted sessions on self-esteem, bullying and speaking out.

The ministry also said it stands firm on their zero tolerance policy on indiscipline and will continue to explore all avenues of intervention to ensure the safety and security of all students.

Comments

Reply to this story

Related