Disaster Management hotlines have been set up within the 14 Municipal Corporations. Members of the public are encouraged to call these toll free numbers to report emergency incidents resulting from natural disasters and inclement weather that directly affect their households.
In a release, the Ministry of Rural Development and Local Government said this was the first time in the history of the Ministry, that such a direct and constant connection with the public has been established.
The ministry said the hotline numbers will be managed by the individual Disaster Management Units in each municipality and are available on a 24/7 basis, with an active listener ready to take the report and dispatch the appropriate response as quickly as needed.
Calls coming in after 4 pm will be automatically routed directly to a dedicated mobile number for the Disaster Management Unit of the Corporation.
Minister Haji Kazim Hosein says “We continue to work diligently to improve our first response to the burgesses of the country in times of crisis. The inclement weather we have experienced during this rainy season has revealed areas where we can improve, and we have been making these improvements so that citizens can access the necessary facilities and resources when they most need them. This year we filled the position of Disaster Management Coordinator at the Ministry, to manage all fourteen (14) Corporations in order to launch the most cohesive effort.”
The numbers are:
- Diego Martin Regional Corporation 800-DMRC (3672)
- San Juan/Laventille Regional Corporation 800-SLRC (7572)
- Arima Borough Corporation 800-2ABC (2222)
- Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation 800-TPRC (8272)
- Port-of-Spain City Corporation 800-PSCC (7722)
- Sangre Grande Regional Corporation 800-SGRC (7472)
- Chaguanas Borough Corporation 800-DCBC (3222)
- Couva/Tabaquite/Talparo Regional Corporation 800-CTTC (2882)
- Mayaro/Rio Claro Regional Corporation 800-4MRC (4672)
- Princes Town Regional Corporation 800-PTRC (7872)
- Point Fortin Borough Corporation 800-PFBC (7322)
- San Fernando City Corporation 800-SCDU (7238)
- Penal/Debe Regional Corporation 800-PDRC (7372)
- Siparia Regional Corporation 800-SRDU (7738)