Six suspects, including two women and four men, who were detained for questioning over the kidnapping of a 71-year-old south businessman, Sooklal “Tarzan” Ramroop, have been released from police custody.
The six, who were interrogated by police for a week, were released last night.
However, a senior police officer told Newsday the case was a sensitive one and much information could not be divulged about the release of the suspects.
The officer said while the suspects were released, investigations continue.
On September 14, Ramroop was kidnapped at his apartment at St John’s Village in San Fernando.
Reports said Ramroop had told relatives he was going to his apartment building, which was advertised for rent, to meet two female potential tenants.
Two women reportedly did meet Ramroop. A man joined them outside the apartment and together they forced him into a car and drove off shortly after 3 pm.
Half an hour later relatives called his cell phone and when he did not answer, his son-in-law visited the apartment and found it had been ransacked. Police said that an hour later, relatives received a telephone call from Ramroop’s captors, who demanded $700,000 for his safe return.
That ransom was not paid.
A joint effort by police, soldiers, members of the K9 Unit and a National Security helicopter led them to Bayshore in Marabella the following day at about 2 pm.
After hours of searching, police found Ramroop in some mangroves near to where he had been held captive.
His feet were loosely bound with a belt and his hands tied.
Police took him to the San Fernando General Hospital, where he was treated and discharged.
He is said to be still recovering from the ordeal.