Just In
Relatives: The Devil killed her Suspect to be charged in La Brea quadruple murder Murdered Anita to be buried today Jamaican wins appeal on cocaine charge Seales challenging continued suspension
follow us
N Touch
Saturday 24 March 2018

Shiva Boys trounce hosts Speyside

Naparima College's Mark Ramdeen, centre, is marked closely in a Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premier Division match at Lewis Street, San Fernando, yesterday. Naps won 2-0.

SHIVA BOYS continued their defence of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premiership Division with a convincing 5-0 win over hosts Speyside High, in a Second Round clash yesterday.

This victory, at the Speyside High Ground, was Shiva Boys’ second win in succession and pushed them to the top of the 16-team standings.

Carapichaima East moved to number two on the standings after a 3-1 victory away to St Anthony’s at Westmoorings while Fyzabad – like Shiva Boys and Carapichaima East – also registered their third straight win, by a 1-0 margin over Fatima at the Fyzabad Ground.

Presentation San Fernando registered their first win of the season, with a 2-0 result over fellow South-based team St Benedict’s, at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella. Naparima, the 2016 Big 4 title-holders, earned their first points for the season as they breezed past Trinity East 2-0 at Lewis Street, San Fernando while QRC also got off the ground with a 3-1 win over Trinity Moka, at the QRC Ground in St Clair.

St Augustine’s first scheduled match, on Saturday last, against St Mary’s was abandoned due to a waterlogged field. However, they got their campaign underway with a slim 1-0 win away to Signal Hill.

In the day’s other contest, San Juan North and St Mary’s played to an entertaining 3-3 draw at the San Juan North Ground, Bourg Mulatresse. Kyle Thomas broke the deadlock for the hosts after two minutes, with a left-footed shot after a lay-off from Ronaldo Boyce.

But the lead lasted only a minute as Devon Charles capitalised on a goalmouth scramble to fire home a left-footed shot, from close range.

Captain Brandon Semper restored San Juan’s lead in the 13th, with a shot from approximately 10 metres out, but St Mary’s responded with two goals, early in the second half. Gabriel Nanton unleashed a 25-metre left-footed bullet, to make it 2-2 while Charles got his second goal after horrible goalkeeping effort.

But Semper would have the final say in the 65th, with a curling left-footed freekick from the edge of the penalty box.

Third Round action will be contested on Saturday.


Reply to this story