Protect citizens from 'bad boys' stigma Tewarie: Gangsters do not live past 30 Over 39,700 widows in TT 3 men shot dead Govt not going to IMF
N Touch
Sunday 24 June 2018
follow us

Maxie Cuffie hospitalised

Communications Minister Maxie Cuffie. FILE PHOTO

UPDATED 06/09:

Minister of Public Administration and Communications Maxie Cuffie is resting comfortably at St Clair Medical Centre, Port-of-Spain following a medical emergency on Tuesday night.

There has been no specific announcement about what happened to the minister and MP of La Horquetta/Talparo.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh visited Cuffie yesterday. After seeing him, Deyalsingh spoke to media yesterday and said after Cuffie took in with a “medical episode” he was rushed to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital where he was stabilised. He said the family then took a decision to transfer him to the St Clair Medical Centre because they had a history of using the facility.

Deyalsingh said this episode required Cuffie to be warded in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). He said when he saw him, Cuffie was in good spirits.

“He was awake, he was very alert, all his intellectual skills are intact, he was able to give me a very nice thumbs up. I spoke to the ICU interventionist and they are very optimistic for a happy outcome in time,” he said.

Cuffie suffered a mild stroke a few years ago while he was editor of the TnT Mirror.

Asked if it was another stroke Deyalsingh said, “at this particular point in time, I would let the doctors have that conversation with the family.”

In a release, the Office of the Prime Minister also said it was a “medical episode”. The OPM said Cuffie’s doctors are pleased with his progress.

Cuffie’s wife Hermia Tyson-Cuffie and family who rushed to his bedside during the course of Tuesday night have expressed their thanks for all the support and concern expressed by people at all levels from the moment they heard he had fallen ill.


The Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) has confirmed that Minister of Public Administration and Communications Maxie Cuffie is in hospital. In a release, the OPM said Cuffie had a “medical episode” last night. They said he was currently warded and recieving medical attention. The OPM said Cuffie’s doctors are pleased with his progress.

“His family appreciates the outpouring of prayers and well wishes and thanks everyone for their support as he takes the time to heal. We pray for a speedy and full recovery and will provide information as appropriate,” the OPM said.


Reply to this story